Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help

Independent Contractor Requests

Independent Contractor Hire Process 

If you are interested in hiring an Independent Contractor please complete the Independent Contractor Packet and submit it to the SSHA AP team at You will also need to provide a Resume/CV for your proposed contractor and the funding source you intend to use. Please see further details regarding the sections within the IC hire packet below. The contractor cannot begin work until the contractor has been approved. 

  • Independent Contractor Prehire Information: To be completed by hiring manager. 

  • W9: To be completed by proposed Independent Contractor. 

  • UCM Statement of Work: To be completed by hiring manager. 

  • Conflict of Interest Form: To be completed by proposed Contractor. 


Here are some frequently asked questions: 

  • Who can be independent contractors? 

    • Bona fide business – sole proprietors or those who work for a company. 
  • How to verify an independent contractor? 

    • Business cards, letterhead, and office address, TIN. 

  • Who cannot be an independent contractor? 

    • Any student (from UCM or any other UC’S), GA, TA, Faculty or Staff in the last 18 months.  In addition, if there is a title code for the job being performed, it is not IC. 

  • How to handle International IC requests? 

    • The process is the same. 

  • Can we pay stipends instead? 

    • No, stipends are for UCM staff and not for work performed without a contract.  


Additional information regarding Independent Contractors can be found at: