Skip to content


Declaring a minor gives you the opportunity to commit to a secondary field of study or specialization that does not require the breadth of coursework a major does. You might find declaring a minor useful for pursuing a personal interest or having the opportunity to work with faculty members outside your major course of study. Minors will not appear on your diploma but will appear on your transcripts.




In order to declare or change a minor at UC Merced, a student must fill out a Change of Major/Minor request and have it approved by the dean or other authorized person in the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts, and submit it to the Students First Center.

Except under unusual circumstances, no change of minor or minor will be permitted after a student has attained senior standing (90 units). It is not possible to change or declare a minor after the student has declared his or her candidacy with the Office of the Registrar.

The following guidelines pertain to all SSHA minors:

» To complete any SSHA minor, each student must complete a minimum of five courses, at least four of which must be upper division.
» All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
» A minimum overall grade-point average of 2.0 (C) in upper division courses is required. The only exception is a minor in arts, for which the minimum GPA in upper division courses is 2.7 (B-).
» At least three of the five required courses must be taken at UC Merced.
» Only one course may be used simultaneously to satisfy requirements for two minors.
» Only one course may be used to satisfy both a minor and a major requirement.
» Students must consult the UC Merced General Catalog for prerequisites to required courses.
» The minor will appear on the student's transcript.

For additional information, please contact the school at 209-228-7742 or e-mail Also visit the SSHA Advising website.