Skip to content Skip to navigation
Resources and Information on COVID-19 Ask a Question

Equipment Management

Biannual Physical Inventory

University and contracting/granting agencies’ regulations require campus departments to conduct periodic physical inventories of assigned equipment and to verify and update departmental inventorial equipment records at least once every two years. In order to satisfy this requirement, Equipment Management provides a Physical Inventory - the Departmental Equipment Registry (EQ920) - to each department, with instructions for conducting the inventory. SSHA’s Equipment custodian will then reach out to users to record the asset’s serial number, model number, location, and pictures of the assets.

What is Inventorial Equipment?

  • Inventorial Equipment includes items owned by or in the custody of UC Merced that have an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more (including sales tax, shipping and any installation cost)

Ways to Acquire Inventorial Equipment

  • Purchase – UCM purchases equipment from an outside vendor using the purchase order process (via ACT ServiceNow or Bobcat Buy)

  • Gift – Donations from outside sources

  • Loan – Equipment on loan from other departments, UC campuses, or outside agencies

  • Transfer – Transfers from other departments, UC campuses or outside agencies

Theft Sensitive Items

Equipment that cost less than $5,000 is classified as “theft sensitive” equipment. This equipment include but not limited to: laptops, cameras, cellphones, printers, monitors, tablets/iPads etc.  Procedures for maintaining control over inventorial equipment include affixing asset tags to the equipment at the time of purchase and maintaining a listing of the equipment.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Surplus Property/Equipment Decommission?

Contact Equipment Custodian Roberto Godinez ( and provide description of item, condition, and property sticker (if applicable).

Moving or Relocating Equipment?

If equipment is to be moved or relocated to another location (room, building, agency, etc.), an Equipment Inventory Modification Request (EIRM) form must be submitted to properly update and track the location of the asset. Please request form from Roberto Godinez (

Reporting Lost or Stolen Property?

To report lost or stolen University asset equipment, please contact Roberto Godinez (


Last Updated: September 2019